Evidence from studies conducted so far says: YES!!!!
The following effects of sauna bathing on your body will impress you:
- sauna causes various acute, transient CARDIOVASCULAR AND HORMONAL CHANGES, however it is well tolerated by most healthy adults and also children and it does not influence fertility and is safe during uncomplicated pregnancies of healthy women- so: almost EVERYBODY can go to the sauna, of course, as long as somebody feels comfortable! You must never stay longer than you feel well in there!
- Sauna bathing leads to transient IMPROVEMENTS IN PULMONARY FUNCTION and this provides relief to many patients with asthma and chronic bronchitis. Here, steam baths are even showing better effects!
- Sauna bathing can provide PAIN RELIEF and improve JOINT MOBILITY in patients with rheumatic disease.
- A recently published study provides prospective evidence that sauna bathing is a protective factor against the risk of sudden cardiac death, fatal coronary heart disease fatal cardiovascular disease and all-cause mortality events in the general male population. See the graphs below for illustration (1):
- You FLUSH TOXINS: profound sweating is a highly effective way to remove toxins the body might have absorbed in several ways. And, sauna does just that.
- Sauna therapy is a great way for WEIGHT LOSS! During a sauna bath, the heart rate increases substantially due to the dry heat. Scientific calibrations suggest that a 20-minute session at around 170 degrees Fahrenheit burns over 500 calories. The body’s metabolism speeds up similar to the way it does from physical exercise and is a great method to maintain weight.
- Sauna bathing INCREASES THE NUMBER OF WHITE BLOOD CELLS and therefore, makes your immune system stronger!
- Regular use of saunas increases the heat tolerance threshold. This leads to significant IMPROVEMENTS IN ENDURANCE SPORTS as regular sauna users have a higher heat tolerance level and thus, feel less fatigue and can maintain their energy level over a prolonged period of time, improving performance.
- SAUNAS MAKE HAIR LOOK GREAT! It activates the sebaceous gland on our scalp, which releases compounds that help condition and moisturize our hair. Spending some time in the sauna is thereby helping to make hair look great.
- SAUNA BATHING HELPS TO RECOVER FROM WORKOUTS: The metabolic wastes are eliminated while sweating in a sauna. The blood flow to tired and strained muscles increases through sauna, helping them to recover quickly and feel relaxed much quicker.
- SAUNAS HELP YOU LOOK YOUNGER: One of the significant organs of our body, your skin also needs regular exercise and saunas are a great way to exercise skin. As we grow older, more of the dead cells accumulate onto our skin pores, as the skin becomes less elastic. A few sessions in the sauna improve blood flow to our skin, which aids the growth of new skin and also removes all the dead cells that were building up previously. The oils, which are the natural moisturizers and antibiotics present in our skin are mobilized through saunas. This helps us to look younger in a significant way.
I love to go to the sauna regularly after working out in the gym or after a swim in the pool. It is so relaxing and also a bit of meditation for me. I am blessed to have a sauna and a steam bath in my gym. Steam bathing is also very effective and helps you fight dry coughs which you tend to have once the heating season starts!
Now that you know all the benefits of sauna bathing I can only say: go for it if you like it and enjoy!!!!